Friday, December 19, 2008
Christmas Time
Tonight while listening to Christmas music on the radio, the host on the station challenged everyone to live and see things as a child would. I thought about this for a minute and thought of my two beautiful kids, and how I need to do a better job of seeing things how they would. Kids are so full of life, happy, forgiving, and never take anything too serious. They love the simple things in life, and all that matters to them is attention, being loved, being outside, and having fun. I love this time of year and now that I have kids Christmas, and the birth of our Savior means even more to me. Growing up my mom always made sure we did something for someone else at Christmas time. Every year we went to the nursing home and performed for the little old people. I still laugh at the thought of my brother playing the guitar, the rest of us singing and doing our cheesy dance moves, and my mom leading us. I also remember one Christmas when my mom had us go sing to this cute old man George. He was a widow and it meant so much to him that we would come and visit him for Christmas. Even though at the time my siblings and I probably grumbled, I am grateful that my mom had us do these acts of service at Christmas time. I hope I can teach my children the true meaning of Christmas, and bring the spirit of this special season into my home. Tonight Lexi opened her present from her grandma Kate. She got some ballerina scrubs and a pull along suitcase. She was so excited and told Cody she was packing her suitcase to go see Jesus. She said "I'm taking the airplane, and when I get off I'm going to give Jesus a big hug." She is very intrigued with the Nativity story this year, and still talks about the Nativity show we saw while in St. George.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I seriously love Christmas time because I think it helps us all think about the more important things in life and give a little more! I am excited for you about your house. I can't wait to see it!!
Oh, those were the days...getting all dressed up to sing to the people at the nursing home. Although, I wouldn't say that you actually sang, Ash. You mumbled and I had to step up and sing the loudest 'cause everybody else was too embarrassed. I guess that's what big sisters are for. I almost forgot about that George guy. I can't believe you remembered his name.
Lexi is a sweet girl and that's because she has a good Mom and Dad who teach her well.
There is something special about the nativity. E. and her friends have played Mary and Joseph for all year straigt and haven't gotten tired of it. E. spends an hour a day with our nativity. It is so awesome to watch them feel of the true spirt of Christmas. Merry Christmas.
Oh Christmas time... its so magical!! So true about little kids. Thanks for the reminder! Somedays at my nanny job, I think, "will this day ever end?! But when I stop thinking about myself and whats convenient for me, I have a great time with the kids! I'm sure it goes for being a mom too. Somedays have got to be challenging. Women are amazing though aren't we!! Merry Christmas!
Ash- I still laugh about the video of Ryker singing at the Nursing Home. Arn't you glad now that you had a good mom that made you do those kinds of things. She did great with you all! Sounds like you had a sickly Christmas. We got a touch of the flu bug too. We missed you guys! I like your new pictures:) Brooke
Post a Comment