A few years ago they challenged us put our profile on mormon.org. I wanted to keep a record of it for my children, so one day they can read for themselves why their mom has a testimony of the church, how much the gospel means to me, and what an important role it plays in my life everyday. I decided I would put it on our family journal, so they will know of my testimony, and hopefully it will be a strength in their lives.
Ashley Smith Nielson
About Me
I love life! I love serving children, teaching, being outdoors, and most importantly I love being a mom to my three beautiful children. It is the most important job I have, and being home with them to teach, love, and help them develop their talents is the greatest joy to me. I have played sports my whole life, and I feel like that has taught me so much about hard work, working together, and accomplishing my goals. I love being active, working out, and being outdoors! After graduating from college we moved across the country so my husband could attend dental school. It was very hard moving so far away from all my family, but the great thing about the church is that it's everywhere!! The people of Indiana were waiting to help us unpack, and welcome us into the ward. It doesn't matter if you have family nearby or far away, you always have family with the church!! It truly increased my testimony, that there are great people, and members of the church all over the world, that are ready to welcome you!
Why I am a Mormon
Some people not of our faith have asked me how do you know the church is true? Why are you so happy all the time? Why is the temple where you want to be married. I have have had so many confirmations of the spirit, spiritual experiences, and many warm feelings, that I know with my whole heart are the whisperings of the Holy Ghost. In my life there is not a week that goes by that I don't see the hand of the Lord in my life. Whether it be from answering my prayers in raising my children, watching my niece receive miracle after miracle from priesthood blessings since being diagnosed with brain cancer, or reading the scriptures and Ensign. The church is incredible, and the longer I live the more certain I am that it is true. I have always known it's true, but when you begin to raise your own family, I know I couldn't raise my kids on my own to be good kids without the lords help, and without the gospel principles. When you know where you came from, you know why you are here, and where you are going after this life is done, it gives you peace. When you understand and you are living a life of service, keeping your body and mind healthy, and allowing yourself quiet time to feel the spirit you will. This past year I have seen the hand of the Lord and miracles in my own life. My niece was born less than two pounds, and is now a healthy six month old little girl. I have seen my five year old niece battle brain cancer, and the doctors amazed at her strength and how strong her body has been throughout. We know that it is through priesthood blessings!! When you live right, things will work out. They may not always work out how you planned, but I've realized that the the Lords plan is always better than my own. I have developed so much faith, and when I've had faith I'm happier, more content, and I receive inspiration on how to help others. The gospel of Jesus Christ is incredible!! I feel SO lucky every day to have it. It's true, and I know it.
How I live my faith
I try to live my faith in everything I do each and every day. I try to make choices every day that will help me have the spirit, so I can be the best mom, wife, sister, and friend I can possibly be. I know when I am praying everyday, reading the scriptures, Ensign, and listening to uplifting music, I am in a better mood, and more receptive to the spirit. I live my faith by trying to be aware of everyone around you. When you realize that everyone has a story, people you meet everyday might be going through hard things, you think about your attitude and choices a little different. I have served the children of the church for many years, and you can't be around anyone more sweet. They are so forgiving, sweet, and the closest thing we have to heaven. Serving with them, you realize what a huge responsibility we each have to teach the children around us what is right. They love to learn and will soak up everything we teach them. I also live my faith by visiting the sisters in the ward. Some of my closest friendships have developed through visiting teaching. I truly believe that when we serve, we forget about our own problems, and we feel so much better about ourselves. I am in charge of putting women in partnerships, so they can go out and visit and teach other sisters of our faith. I have such a strong testimony of visiting teaching, and if we as sisters can provide love, relief, and help to other sisters in need it's a great thing. I'm thankful in my own life for visiting teachers who have helped me, befriended me, and taken the time to see how I'm doing. It's amazing how much service we do in the church, but there is nothing better we can be doing with our time. It helps me grow, learn, and share my strengths with others. We are all here to learn from each other, and each of my callings has strengthened my testimony on the amazing programs the church has. Every single member has a chance to serve, and it only brings us closer to the Lord.

1 comment:
Ash,
You have kept such a great journal through your blog. This will be so great for your family. You always assume that your children know what you believe and what you stand for, but it it great to write it down! It has always been a comfort to me, to know that no matter how far away my children live, if they will embrace the gospel in their lives, they will never be alone. I love you....
Post a Comment