Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Grandparent fun

One thing that I've always known is that I have great parents and in laws, and as I get older I feel so blessed and lucky to have them.  I know my children will always have wonderful grandparents to show them the way, set a good example, and for that I'm so thankful.  I consider both sides my parents, and I would do anything for them.  They are great examples to me, and the other night our bishop told us to choose someone as our standard to look up to in our lives.  When I thought about it I immediately thought of my own mom.  She has always been my standard, and will forever be.  I hope I can always be as beautiful on the inside and outside as my mom.  One thing she always taught me,  that I hope I can teach my own kids, is that its more important to be beautiful on the inside than it is to be on the outside.  I feel that anybody can be beautiful on the outside if they work at it, but if they aren't on the inside, then to me it diminishes their beauty.  I hope I can teach Lexi that, as well as my boys:).  I remember when my mom talked to my brothers about finding a wife, and she said, "choose someone who will be a great mom to your children.  Looks will fade, but make sure she will be a good mom."  My mom is genuinely the most kind and giving person, but she made sure to teach us to work hard for what we have.  I'm thankful for that because I catch myself doing the same thing she made us do with my kids!! 
I'm thankful for both my mother and mother in laws spirituality.  They are women of faith and I'm so thankful I can always talk to them and get answers.  It has helped me so much with my children, and I admire how they have raised their kids, and I hope my kids will look up to me the way I do to them.  I've just realized so much lately that without strong parents these special kids that are born today will have a hard time not giving into temptation.  I want my kids to reach the potential they were sent here for, and without the guidance of good parents and the church I think it's hard to do. 
A missionary in our ward last week gave a talk that I really thought about.  He said, "we are all missionaries in some way.  If you are smoking a cigarette you are saying that smoking is ok.  Even if you don't' think it's ok, that is what you are teaching your children and those around you.  If you attend church every week, serve in callings, you are teaching your children those things are important.  Whatever choices you are making that is how you are choosing to be a missionary."  I thought a lot about that, and how much the little and big decisions I am making in front of my children will impact their lives.  I thought it was something really great to remember, because the man he talked to about  didn't want his children to smoke, and make the same decisions as he had, but after hearing that it really made him think about what he was preaching in his own life by the choices he was making.  I love this quote and it's something I need to be reminded of daily!! 

Your children will become
 what you are;
So be what you 
want them to be


We had such a great time while both of them were visiting! We all count down the days, and it's just fun while they are here.  Our house feels full, my kids are happy, and it's just great to spend time with them.  I just feel plain lucky to have them in my family's life!  I hope they will always know how much they are loved and appreciated by our family.  After a month or two my kids start asking when we will see grandma and grandpa again! They love both sides so much! I think living away from their grandparents for so long has really made me and my kids appreciate all the time and effort they make to be with our family.  I know it's not always easy, but their effort to come and visit us means so much!! 

One highlight of the trip was that Trey got to go to the drag races with my dad.  He loved it! He loved his t-shirt even more!! He still wants to wear it at least twice a week! I think his preschool teacher thought that was the only shirt he owned for awhile:).  He still loves it and wants to make sure it's washed! I think it will be completely faded by this summer:). 

Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children. ~Alex Haley








Korver loves the 4-wheeler as much as Trey




I think my dad wins the award for #1 grandpa!! Nobody makes the kids feel more special or spoiled then him! He's wonderful!! I love him and I love seeing him with his grandkids!! 







making posters for grandma


Grandma Jaylene always comes with a few fun crafts! The kids love it!!


Beautiful roses from my special guy for Valentines:)


I made Cody a special gift with all of his favorite treats!! 


A little rose for Lexi from Cody! She loved it and felt so special:)


Yummy dinner at PF Changs! Lexi keeps asking to go back

Two of my favorite people:)! 

I love this little girl! 
Lexi's birthday dinner at Red Robin


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ash, You are not suppose to make your Mom cry! Thank-You so much for your kind words...I know I could have been a better Mom at times, but I never could have loved you more or been any more proud to have you for my daughter. You are definitely beautiful inside and out and that is what draws so many friends to you, wherever you go! We loved our road trip to visit our kids and we had so much fun at your home. The down side is how much I miss all of you when we leave. We can't wait to see you again!

Todd and Rikki Smith said...

Cute pics and what great memories! Our kids are lucky to have such amazing involved grandparents. I love that they get to creat so many hands-on memories with them!