The past week I lost a friend who had been battling cancer for six years. She and her family are amazing and I'm so thankful I was able to become friends with them. They have touched my life so much, and I'm thankful Heavenly Father helped our paths cross. I know it was not by accident, and my heart has been aching for their family all week. I am so glad sweet Brittani is out of pain, but losing a child is so heartbreaking, and my thoughts and prayers go out to their family. Even through their grief they say they just want to celebrate Brittani's life, because she never wanted sad tears, just happy thoughts:). This family moved into our neighborhood last October, and Tami (Brittani's mom) says she knows they were led to their house. A member of our ward that had no idea they had moved in felt a strong impression she needed to stop by their house and share her testimony. She said the impression was so strong, and even though she was scared she decided to do it. She stopped by and when Brittani's parents opened the front door she said, "I have no idea why, but the spirit led me to your home and I feel impressed I need to share my testimony with you." Brittani's family is not of our faith, but they are incredible and faith filled people. Brittani's parents broke down and cried. Brittani's mom said she had never questioned whether there was a God, but that morning was the first time in her life that she questioned if there really was a God. Their family had been going through so much the past few years, and Brittani's cancer was just a part of it. She said she knew this was an answer to her prayer, and that God knew her personally and sent this witness that He was real. She said she has never questioned if there was a God since, because she knows there is because of this experience. Tami also said that before they moved into there home she prayed she would find a group of strong women to help her shoulder this burden. She said she immediately found that through the people of our ward. She said her prayer was definitely answered, and how grateful they have been for all the outpouring of support our church has given their family. I thought that was so incredible, and hearing stories like that increases my faith as well, and helps me want to be better and serve more:). It also strengthens my faith of why the Relief Society is in place, and what a blessing it can be in the lives of all those around us, as well as our own families. In October I was released from Primary, and because I had been in for 7 years straight the Primary president said she would give me a break for awhile. Well, a few weeks later she called and said, "I know I promised you I wouldn't call you back to primary, but for some reason the Lord needs you to serve in Activity Days. Your name keeps coming." I had already received another calling, but I said I would do it, and she reassured me if I felt overwhelmed to let her know! Through my calling as Activity Day leader I had the chance to grow closer to the Staple family. As a group and also as a family, we were able to serve this family throughout the last 5 months. They taught all of us more than we could've ever done for them, but it was a great experience for the both of us. I know it was a very neat experience for the girls, and they all loved Brittani. It was very touching the first time they met her, because you could hear a pin drop in the room. The girls were very concerned when they knew Brittani would soon be passing, and I'm thankful that the Lord gave the girls and I the opportunity to hopefully make Brittani's life a little bit better in the past few months. You could feel her special spirit, and she never stopped fighting. She was amazing and her family has been so strong through all of this, especially with their faith. They have taught all of us so much, and I'm thankful for them. The day of Brittani's passing, I received a text that I needed to meet with our bishopric, and later on I received a call from the Primary president letting me know I was going to be released from Activity Days, because they were calling me to another calling. I knew right then that it was not an accident I was released the day after Brittani's passing. I know that was the reason I was called to Activity Days, and to be released right after she passed was such a testimony that the Lord has a hand in all things. Our callings come for a reason, and I know without this calling I would not have gained the friendship with Tami that I have. I can sympathize with what she's going through because of how cancer has affected our family the last year. After talking with her about her spiritual experiences during this trial, I know the other side is real, and I know if we prove, endure, and remember who is really in charge, then we will be ok. It's been so neat to hear her stories, and the spiritual experiences they've had. It's touched my life and helps me to be stronger in my own trials. Tami always says, "remember the gift of time." This life is short, and we never know what tomorrow will bring, so enjoy time with your family, and loved ones. If you go to www.justbrat.com Click on her about me page and read who her hero is. It's pretty amazing that at just 17 years old she can have such a strong spirit. ![]() |
| We helped the Staple family give Christmas to another family who's 18 month old daughter had cancer, and the single mom had to stop working to care for her. It's something their family does every year, and with all they are going through they are still thinking of other. Amazing!! |
| The girls heart attacked the Staple family for Valentine's |

2 comments:
Wow what an awesome story Ash!!! Thanks for sharing:)
She is a beautiful girl and how many of us could continue to pursue an education and life in general with what she was going through! How lucky you are to have been touched by this family and to have the opportunity to serve them. What a touching story and it makes me so thankful for the "Gift of Time." I have heard so much about this family, that I'm so glad you shared these photos.
Post a Comment