Wednesday, March 21, 2012

great friends

There is a friend I have, that isn't like many other people.  She's amazing, beautiful, patient, fun, great dancer, and one of the best mom's I know.  Did I mention she is my HERO!! She would be so embarrassed hearing this, and especially knowing that I was writing about her.  I owe a lot to this friend, and one thing that will always be special about my friend Joy is that we began the journey of raising our kids together in Indiana.  I have to say without my two friends Joy and Stefani I may not have survived my first year with Trey.  He was so hard, cried all the time, and required a lot of my time.  I never said anything to them, they just knew when I needed help, a friend, and were always there.  They both insisted that Cody and I go out on a date and they would tend Trey and Lexi.  I never wanted to leave Trey because I felt guilty because he would cry so much, and plus they had little one's of their own, but they would not give up.  I don't think they ever knew how much that really meant, and then I really knew then what incredible and true friends I had.  I couldn't go many places with Trey, so many days we would just hang out together at Joy's house, laughing,  and keeping each other company while our husbands were busy with school.  I look back  and realize what a blessing it was for that break to get out of the house, and just enjoy time with friends.  Lexi and Harley were best friends, and after we moved to Arizona Lexi would still ask for her all the time, even though she was only 2.

Well, when Joy's sweet little Oakley was diagnosed with cancer almost 2 years ago I was devastated for her and their family.  I had been there when he was born, I watched him eat cheetos is his high chair, learn to crawl, and watched him grow up.  My heart ached because I was no longer able to help her like she helped me with Trey.  I wished so bad I could run over and take her kids to give her a much needed break.  I knew she had no family, and not very many friends since they had just moved to Casper.  Once we started dental school I realized just how important good friends were when you didn't have any family close by.  I still know that feeling living in Arizona.  I have been amazed at Joy's strength throughout this journey.  She would travel at least 6 hours each way to take her sweet little boy for his chemo and radiation treatments.  Seeing her go through this without complaint was amazing.  During this she had 4 kids under 5, and just kept plugging along.  Her kids are so lucky to have her, and I know that these special children are given to people like Joy for a reason.  I love her and I hope that my own kids will find great friends like her.  Great friends like her cannot be replaced!  We all need them in our lives and just like this quote below says, they are placed in our life by God for a reason, and maybe only a season.  I'm not sure when I will see Joy again, but I'm thankful for her and all she's taught me.  We can get through hard things if we just trust in God, and allow good people to come into our lives.  Oakley is in remission right now, and it really is a miracle.  Joy says he's getting stronger and doing things the doctor never predicted he would do again!!


Some people come into our lives and quickly go.
Some stay for a while 
and leave footprints on our hearts.
And we are never, ever the same.   









3 comments:

Todd and Rikki Smith said...

oh my gosh where have I been?? You have a ton of new posts! I think the reason you have such great friends is because you are such a great friend yourself. You are so easy to talk to and I feel like I can tell you anything and it will never be repeated! You are an amazing person and you have an adorable family! i love all the posts and pictures and I love that you post true, spiritual experiences!! I cant wait to come see you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Ash, I was amazed at all the friends you made at dental school. to have a friend, you have to be a friend and you make friends so easily. That is a gift. Joy is an amazing person. I will never forget her strength and our visit to see oakley in the hospital. She has been through so much! I can't imagine all the travel clear from Casper. What a beautiful family she has.

Unknown said...

What a neat post! What an amazing person she is... and so are YOU!