Monday, October 20, 2008

Dental School

Today I was talking with one of my closest friends from dental school and I realized something that I think I've always known. I realized that going through dental school when we didn't have a lot of money, my husband being around all the time, moving away from home, and living in such simple circumstances, has really made me look at life a little different. Now that Cody is finished with school I miss those days a little bit. Now that we are in the real world I appreciate the simple things in life. I am grateful for all the memories we made in school and it makes me appreciate the things I have a little more. I still feel like we are living on a student budget even though Cody has a good job, and I realize that we don't need a big house to be happy or all the things that money can buy, because my kids are happy as long as Cody and I are there to play with them. I just hope I can always stay grounded and humble no matter what happens in life. I hope I can always be happy with the simple things in life and remember the simple days during dental school when all we had was eachother, and life was great!

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

As much as we look forward to this time being over, I know I'm going to miss it too. Thanks for reminding us what makes life great...each other.

Shannon said...

Ashley,
I can't thank you enough for your comment. I think my blog is pretty sad and slightly depressing most the time...but I feel its real and it feels good to get my feelings out. It will be an interesting thing to look back on someday and this time in my life. Thank you so much for your kind words. You are so sweet. You have a beautiful family and cute cute kids! I'm so glad you are healthy and have more to come!

Shannon said...

Oh I added you to my friend list...hope that's okay.

Keep in touch!

Todd and Rikki Smith said...

Ash.. It is so true! Money cant buy happiness, although it helps a little to not have to be in debt and worry, but it is not necessary for our happiness! No matter how much or little money we have, as long as we manage and budget it correctly we can be happy! I swear chandler would rather play with a box that he can color on, jump on, or just tear apart, better than any toy we could buy him...so for christmas a big empty box it is!! No but really the simplest things make us happy. I could buy as many clothes as i wanted but nothing makes me feel better than the smile on my boys faces or hearing them say I Love YOu! That is where are true joy is! In being a mom, sister, friend, or daughter simply because we ware daughters of god and we know what is truly important! We love you and cant wait til thanksgiving, are you still coming?

Heidi and Michael said...

So true Ash... such a good comment about life in general. I know sometimes I see huge houses or people that have a ton of money and can do or buy anything they want, and I sometimes think, "Gosh, wish I could do and afford all that!" But it really is the simple things that bring us happiness. I love our small, cozy home, the small town feel of Kaysville, the gospel, our families, etc. Its totally about the simple things. I can't wait to play with, love, and adore my children just like I adore my husband. Can't imagine life without him. Here's to the simple things!!!

Jenny said...

I told this exact story to one of my friends from BYU. Life is so crazy and hectic now, I often long for those poor law school days!

Naomi said...

I agree Ashley. I prefer life to be simple. . . and keeping it simple seems to get harder. However, I believe it is worth the effort. I think part of what made school-life so simple is that we knew (roughly) what a solid 4-8 years of our lives would look like. Now, it's all up for grabs and it is up to us to make every decision. As wonderful as it is, it definately brings its own set of challenges. You guys are great. . . and I agree that it is each other that makes life worth it.

Tai said...

I totally agree. Your family is so sweet. Enjoy those little kidos as much as you can. Kailie is already six and I feel like it was just yesterday I had her. I am glad that you and Cody realize what is really important in life!! We love you guys. I am waiting for that phone call!!