Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Car rental disaster!!


We just returned from a trip to check out a practice in Kansas and the funniest thing happened to us. It didn't seem so funny at the time, but I have to look back and laugh now.

When we booked our flights to Kansas I didn't book our rental car at the same time. I went back on to book it and since we were traveling so close to Thanksgiving it would've cost us $200.00 for two days. Being on the tight dental school budget we are we decided to check around with some referals we had been given. So we talked to this place called Kwik Cars, and they told us they would rent us a car for $60.00. I thought since we had been referred to them they couldn't be that bad. We only had to go 40 miles, so I thought we would be fine going with them and we would save $140.00. When we pulled up to the place Cody and I just looked at eachother thinking what did we do!! The car we got was a Chevy Lumina with 215,000 miles, and it had to be at least 10 years old. We pulled out of the parking lot and the wheel was shaking like crazy and the knob on the radio was broken. Cody was so embarassed that he didn't even want to show up at doctor Julian's house. I was embarassed too when we pulled up to a big beautiful house and we were driving a car with a big dent in the front of it. The doctor and his wife laughed at our story and luckily we only had to drive the car to and from the airport. Dr. Julian and his wife took us around in their fancy cars the rest of the time.
Cody and I look back and laugh now, but we are definitely ready to be done with school and hopefully not have to go cheap all the time. We are definitely glad we saved some money, but Cody assured me we will not go with another no name company again. The picture of the car I posted is probably a little nicer than our rental car sad to say.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Ashley, that is too funny. Well at least you saved some money and have a funny story to look back on.

NAT said...

That's hilarious! Well, soon you'll be the "Nielson DDS" family & won't have to worry about cheapies.

attack of The Mouse said...

That is a crack up. Tell Cody that we almost bought a Lumina from K's parents. It had a ton of miles on it, but it ran awesome. K.'s sister ended up buying it instead and it has run like a charm for her. The rental car business usually has newer cars, ones that you don't have to worry about tires falling off. So that is pretty funny. thanks for sharing.

Kajsa said...

ok sooooo funny!! kip and i were cracking up!