Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Being thankful

I am so far behind on blogging but I had to dedicate a post to my friend Joy, Barb,  and all my other family and friends that teach me so many great life lessons.
Why is it that it takes sad things happening to wake you up and make you look at all the good you have in your life, and not focus on the things that may not be just perfect?  One thing I'm grateful for in my life is good family and friends that help teach me what life is all about, and when you start to look around you feel incredibly blessed for the small and simple things you've been blessed with.
My friend Joy has been through so much this past year, but you never hear her complain about the long drives she makes to take her little boy to his chemo appointments nearly 6 hours away, or how hard it is to leave her two little kids at home for weeks at a time while she stays at the hospital with her precious little 3 year old boy.  It is people like her that you look at and call your hero! It is times like that when you know God is stepping in take care of your kids when you can't. Am I strong enough to go through something like that? I would say probably not, if it has to do with my kids, but I would do anything for my kids and husband.

I had an experience the past couple weeks with my little Trey that has really made me think about how important my role as a mom is.  If any of you know Trey he can be the sweetest little boy, but if he has his mind set there is no changing it no matter what you do.  There have been times when I wonder if I'm getting through to him, and if he knows how much I love him no matter how many times I have to tell him to be careful, or to stop doing something.  The past couple of weeks I have had the most overwhelming feeling that each of my kids came to our home for a reason, and I was meant to be Trey's mom.  I know him being born on my birthday was not by accident, and I know he came with such a strong personality to make it through these last days.  I know I have such a huge job to teach him what he needs to know.  He is now in Sunbeams, and when I watch him singing the songs I feel even more thankful for the gospel.  The more I serve in the church and now in primary, I have been reassured and received a confirmation that the church is true.  I feel so lucky to have it.
So, the past few weeks instead of getting after Trey so much, I've just tried to love him more, hug him more, and spend more time with him.  He is listening so much better, always telling me he loves me, and being so kind to everyone (except for his teasing to Lexi).  He has had the sweetest spirit about him, and I appreciate all that he teaches me everyday. I realize if I didn't have the opportunity to be home I would miss out on all these fun things my kids are doing.  My goal this year is to try and be better at enjoying each day, and whatever that day brings just trying to be patient and enjoy the season of life I'm in.

What I've learned from so many of my friends experiences is, I don't know what tomorrow or next week will bring, so I need to enjoy today and enjoy this time with my kids.  Hopefully this year I can really incorporate the quote I love so much, "Come what may and love it."

3 comments:

Jami said...

Your kids are so lucky to have such a wonderful mom.
What you said is so true, I know I definitely need to be better with my own kids. THanks for your post!

Todd and Rikki Smith said...

Ash, You are a great mom! I totally understand how you are feeling with trey. I felt like I couldn't do anything right. Trey definetly has a strong spirit and is so valiant. He is so adorable. I think what you are doing with the extra hugs and extra time will really make a difference. He is so lucky to have you as a mom.

Our Family said...

Beautiful post Ashley! I have the same sentiments about my Alec, I am pretty sure that these strong personalities have been saved for these last days. You are a fantastic mom and all of your beautiful children are blessed to have you as their mom!