Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lessons

The past couple of weeks I've been feeling a little homesick to live closer to my family. I know we are much closer now, but I wish we could see them more. I absolutely love Arizona and the warm weather, but I wish I could bring my family here with me. I am grateful more than words can express for my own little family, and I know we need to be where we can serve in the church, a place where our kids can have great opportunities, and where Cody can be happy in his profession. It is just hard sometimes because I am very much a family person, and going through dental school only seeing them twice a year I appreciate and love all of my (both Cody and I's) family so much more. Cody and I went to the temple yesterday and I received so much comfort. Looking at a picture of Christ surrounded with angels, I realized that I will be able to spend eternity with my family and this is but a small moment in time. I know that Heavenly Father puts us where we need to be, and living away from my family has shown me how wonderful the gospel is wherever we go, and that I have many people to meet to help me grow and become better. I have learned so much about myself the past four years, and I have grown so much. My testimony is strengthened more and more each year, because of the people I meet, the situations our family goes through, and realizing that the gospel is the same wherever you go. I am so truly grateful for the gospel, and the members here in Arizona are great!! We have such a great neighborhood and the girls I have met are so nice. No matter the ups and downs of life, I am grateful for my own little family, and also all of my extended family. I am grateful and feel so blessed to have the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people with each move our family has made. I realize that to grow I have to be stretched and Heavenly Father continues to give me peace and guidance each day.

8 comments:

Our Family said...

Ashley, Thanks for the invite to your blog. What a beautiful family you have!! What part of AZ are you in?

Tai said...

It is so hard to live away from family but it is a great thing too. There are times I wonder why we don't live further away but I know we are where we need to be too. You guys are awesome!! Maybe someday???....

Heidi and Michael said...

You are so good with words Ash. You really should start writing books! I love to read the things you write. It gives me a boost and recharges me spiritually! Thanks!!

Jenny said...

I have been feeling the same way. I am missing home and family so much. I wish we were closer, but know that we are where we need to be right now. We are blessed with wonderful friends here, but sometimes they do not fill the void that family leaves on your heart!

Call me sometime!

David, Joy, Harley, Oakley & Maverick said...

Ashley, you are such a role model to me. You are such a strong person and I wish I lived closer to you, maybe you'd rub off on me. I'm so nervous about finding our right place to be, and I know it's going to be further away from family that I want.

Todd and Rikki Smith said...

Ash, we wish you lived closer to. You and your fam are so fun to be around. Sometimes i think living away would be good because it helps your individual family grow closer and learn to rely on eachother and your friends in the church. You are so easy to make friends and you guys will do awesome in AZ. we are looking at march to come visit!! We love you guys and hope everything continues to go well.

Unknown said...

Ash you are such a strong person! I have a hard time looking for the good in hard situations but it seems to come naturally to you! I know I live by Cody's Family and I have todd... but its not the same as living by a sister that stays at home just like me... I want that more than anything! I think I would rather move to AZ than you move here... anyways but I really liked what you said about eternity! It is so so true! I love you! I have been looking at flights and I was gonna book it for the last week in February but I have a bunch of stuff for you that i need to bring with me so should I drive? I ill call you after nine tonight... Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Ash-- What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. So are you dead yet?? No, for real.... I know trials are really hard when you are going through them.... just know that there is an end to them and when you look back you'll see how much you grew through it all! A lesson we all get to go through. We love ya... Brooke